Re: [udig-devel] DIVA GIS looks great!

Emilio Mayorga wrote:
Jody,

That message was a little cryptic. I've heard of DIVA-GIS before. I
googled it and found two totally separate web sites:
http://diva.riu.cip.cgiar.org/
http://www.diva-gis.org/
Yes and neither is up to date. Just means they are coding flat out I guess.
The first one seems more current, and makes very terse references to
uDig and a re-write. So: is DIVA-GIS being completely rewritten for
version 6.0, to be based on the uDig platform?? If so, that's terrific
news as far as fostering re-use of core open source GIS tools. When do
they expect to release that version?
Well they had version 5 as I understand it, and I just saw Version 6 a couple of days ago. I think the UN is trying to set up "crop forge" to herd all their projects onto one site, and that may explain some of our
difficulty in finding them online.

Some of there work is available in the community section of SVN, it was just great seeing a complete branded
application that could do so much.

Aside: I had a few painful moments because they are based on uDig 1.0.6 (aka stable branch) and things are so much faster in uDig 1.1...

The people at CIP actually hosted a uDig training course last summer, and other organizations are showing interest. You did catch that the GeoDSS project is based on uDig, and that there are a number of uDig based projects on the go?

As Richard mentioned in his blog from Eclipsecon we are trying to set ourselves up as the "GIS Platform" in Eclipse RCP speak with reuse of all these great projects as a goal. Apparently I could rant on this for a while ... uDig is actually designed from the ground up with this in mind allowing both reuse of whatever library you care to integrate and customization for whatever GIS based
need you have.

Thanks.

-Emilio Mayorga