[udig-devel] Re: [Mapbuilder-devel] Re: OWS Spec?

Quoting Allan Doyle <adoyle@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mar 21, 2006, at 09:52, Pat Cappelaere wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> >
> > We have considered this but our driving force is to be able to save
> > all map
> > elements in a context that can be saved and send/share it to
> > someone else.
> > Does this make sense?  If not, we would have to look at an
> > alternate way...
>
> I think you have to consider the desired result in light of whether
> you're setting up a mini-standard for mapbuilder/udig or whether you
> want to set up a standard that all mapping apps can share.
>
> Right now it seems to me that since there is no standard way to layer
> yahoo/google/etc maps into a stack of layers, that you're really
> doing the former, not the latter.

I think this is what we are hoping to set up? An the OWS Context document is
close, but even in the OWS-3 project we encountered difficulty in extending it
for additional data types.

The other issues was one of failover, defining several sources of information
for a layer - incase a server is down.  The difference in the OWS-3 demo for
uDig vs GeoTango was an education for me with respect to this use case.

> Therefore, it makes sense to consider a yahoo layer or a google layer
> to be at the same level as a WMS Context in your saved file. I.e you
> should make a context that looks like this:
>
> <mbudigcontext>
>    <yahoolayer>...</yahoolayer>
>    <wmscontext>  ... embed WMS Context here ... </wmscontext>
>    ... etc ...
> </mbudigcontext>

I think we want to embed the other data types into the same zorder as the
normal OWS layers.  Cameron started this conversation with me, so there is at
least two products that are interested.

<spatialcontext>
  <viewport and projection/>
  <layer><wms1><wms2><wfs3></layer>
  <layer><wms2><custom1></layer>
</spatialcontext>

The important part to capture is the viewport and projection, the zorder of
the layers and the source of data (both ows based and custom).

Thanks for your time Allan and Tom I will go and register for the sub project.
Jody