[udig-devel] More questions about trying to figure out how things work

Hi,

I asked in fairly vague terms some questions about using udig last week, and
was very impressed by how quickly you responded, and since then I've been
doing some more experiments with version 1.1M6, and since then to check up
on it with today's nightly build, and am still puzzled, so I'm going to ask
some new ones again!

I was playing with shapefiles containing a road network (lots of
linestrings), and thought maybe display was a lot slower than in jump
because there was something that could be optimised later in shapefile
access, so I set up a geoserver on a server close by with some of these
shapefiles, and have tried displaying WMS and WFS queries.

Basically, even with a single shapefile containing only 1826 linestrings,
the display is really quite slow (about 30 seconds to draw the entire
layer), whether the source is the local shapefile or a WFS or WMS query.
There do not seem to be any reprojection issues as information about the
layer displays WGS84 which is the native reference of the shapefile.

The other thing that is troublesome is creating a new layer and copying
linestrings from the source layer to this new one.

To reproduce, you create a new layer (with no additional attributes). You
select a couple of linestrings in the source layer with the 1826 items.
Copy, paste into the newly created layer.

When you paste udig starts by redrawing all the layers (which seems
unreasonable as only the currently empty one into which we are pasting has
any chance of changing), and then the map view seems to lock and not display
anything at all. This has been occurring with a good level of
reproducibility in version 1.1M6 and in today's nightly build.

Is any of this extraordinary in the eyes of more experienced users or
developers?

Thanks in advance, best wishes

Robbie Jameson

Back to the top