[udig-devel] Universal static methods

Hey all,

I may be confused by these global static methods but I don't understand
why there are two cannonical sources. I gather, in any running uDig app,
there will always be:

PlatformGIS
CatalogPlugin

Is there any time when there will be one and not the other? Are there
other cannonical, static accessors to resources from the uDig platform?

If both are always present, it seems that we could consolidate these
into PlatformGIS for user clarity. We would then distinguish four
categories of methods:

RCP interaction:
---------------
  methods to access the GUI controller e.g.
getView (change to getRCPView?)

Data Model Methods:
-------------------
  methods to get at the geospatial data held by the uDig Platform
getAllCatalogs()
getDefaultCatalog()
getLocalCatalog()

Project Model Methods:
---------------------
  methods to get at the structure of the projects in the Platform
getProjects()
getActiveProjects()
getMaps(Project)
getActiveMap()

Convenience Methods:
  methods would be for frequently needed shortcuts.
addLayersToActiveMap()

>From a user's point of view, it would be nice to have PlatformGIS be a
single source from which the entire rest of the application could be
accessed. Is this possible? Would this make sense,

thanks,
adrian

Back to the top