Re: [udig-devel] Easy translation with RBE plugin

Good to know - we should put the link on the "How to translate page", Mattias if you do have any suggestions like this please feel free to login and change the documentation.
Jody
Hi folks,

it might already be known to (some of) you, but there is one very nice tool for
editing localization resource bundles. It is plainly called

  ResourceBundleEditor (v0.7.2 currently)
  http://www.resourcebundleeditor.com/
  Download at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125041

Why I mention it?
Well, it can prevent lots of the issues that I encounter everytime I translate
uDig, namely:

Structural issues:
- You see all languages at a glance.
- It shows with a waring sign if an entry is missing in one or several
languages. This helps a lot to keep the files synchronized.
 (Of course this requires that the files for all languages be in the same
package. So I usually copy the english one over to the fragment before staring
translation work.)
- It helps a lots to maintain a consistent naming schema, since you see the
complete key tree at a glance. This way you realize easily when someone has
added a key "zoom.catagory" in addition to "zoom.category".
- It prevents duplicate keys
- It allows to rename keys -> This will change all languages synchronously!
- It finds duplicate values, so if several keys have the value "Scalebar" as is
currently the case it gives you a list. (It does NOT remove anything for you,
in case you have your reasons to for these duplicates.)
- It cares about special characters.

Cosmetical issues:
- it aligns all entries in the resource bundle (looks MUCH better!)
- it sorts them automatically and puts in an empty line after every major group
- you can comment and uncomment entries (for testing, or if you don't need them
yet but maybe later)

You see, although this tool is especially valuable for me as translator it also
can save a lot of translation trouble by doing the English files well.
(And it shows how outdated the french files are, btw.)

Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx