Re: [udig-devel] Eclipse 3.1.1 updates and new extras.zip

If it is going to be this much bother, can we include the complete language packs in eclipse_extras? I hate to see people download the same stuff twice...

Hi Matthias,

Having the RCP(!) language pack in extras.zip means that people using the concerned "western" locales will get the RPC language pack installed into their Eclipse IDE. If I'm not mistaken, this will mean that they end up with a partly localized IDE: The RCP parts are localized, the IDE-specific parts not. (Correct
me if you think I misunderstand his.)
I'm still playing with my locale settings, but will investigate (user experience would be useful, as i'm not a native "western" locale user... we should however, be able to override the locale settings to load eclipse in your language in choice, just like we do in uDig by changing the shortcut from:
C:\java\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xmx512m
C:\java\eclipse\eclipse.exe -nl en -vmargs -Xmx512m

a) Install the extras.zip, but later disable the language pack in "Manage
configuration". This gives you an English Eclipse IDE, but retains the
possibility to use the RCP language pack plugins for building and testing the
localized uDig (which was intended).
That's more or less what I prefer.
Where is "manage configuration"?

b) Install the extras.zip, but then install the complete IDE(!) language pack over it. This way you get a COMPLETELY localized IDE environment. I don't think the additional language pack files will affect running and testing uDig (as long
as uDig does not depend on any IDE-specific packages).
I've added links to the Eclipse 3.1.1 SDK Language packs in the uDig Quickstarts:

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Project+Quickstart#ProjectQuickstart-DownloadingEclipse

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Cory.