[udig-devel] Proposals / Summary

We need an RnD confluence space to track this stuff, perhaps the community space will work? I would like to try out ideas in the community space, and only when people are really happy roll the changes into uDig trunk. Or for some services package them up as a formal uDig extension with their own update site.

As a conclusion I briefly count domains we are interested in and going to add/improve into/in UDIG:

· Topology Data Model as an internal optional “feature” to represent vector data inside of memory to perform different editing actions and preserve topology consistence between features.

This can be done, I do not know of any open/source implementations of Topology off the top of my head. There is interest, someone mentioned it to geotools as a need about every six months. It should be noted that many systems "fake it" with a combination of polygons and constraints. Having real topology is better, but hard to do.

· Rich functionality for vector data validation as for standalone features with geometry as for the whole layers with dozens of objects to be validated. Seems great job is being done based on GeoTools validation functionality and integration it into UDIG.

It is rich, but it will only be complete when users start to make use of it. Note some work should be done to optimize once random access is available for shapefile and Postgis.

· MIF support for reading at least. Writing is optional.

There is a MIFDataStore:
-<http://www.geotools.org/MIFDataStore>

I have never used it, we should contact the Module Maintainer.

· Rich functionality for direct communication with databases, especially Oracle. Creation various complex queries to get only piece of data we are interested in.

This has seen a lot of recent work, I am the module maintainer and will be happy to help as I am available. I am CCing Marc Risney who has offered up an Oracle server for testing, and is being to encouraged to join geotools in a bit more of a formal capacity.

· Export functionality: export selected layers with vector data in one shapefile. Probably spatial operations (merging, etc) should be performed automatically. It concerns cases when attribute data is not important, only geometry is subject for editing inside of UDIG.

That did not make sense to me :-) There is a gap between exporting, combining layers and editing. We better break out a separate email.

· Functionality to create and even edit feature type for the whole layer, setting default value automatically for example, with editing in the next. Solve all problematic issues that appear with this functionality.

We have talked about a FeatureType editor, currently the geotools feature Type model is under revision. After this is completed we should have something rich enough to build a GEF editor ontop of. Note FeatureType often gets confused with mutability issues, you can see an experiment called Meta Information Infrastructure where the Feature Model was patched a mutable (richer) system in order to specify how FeatureTypes should be created/generated.
-<http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Feature+Model+Proposal>
-<http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Meta+Information+Infrastructure>

· Do all this stuff in a such way that is would be acceptable for the existing plugins, architectures, libraries, data models, object models, etc…

Well you are already doing just fine - we are talking on the email list. We should set up a confluence space, so this writing of yours does not go to waste.

So, I suggest to discuss these questions between all stakeholders to find the best solutions, not to invent the wheel and determine what we are really need J

Traditionally we do a breakout IRC session to communicate with all the open-source stakeholders, if you simply want to talk to Refractions you can. To communicate with GeoTools you can attend their weekly IRC meeting and ask for an introduction.

Jody

Back to the top