[udig-devel] Proposal - Export To ....

Diatchkov Vitali wrote:

We have good framework for importing data into UDIG. Wizards, wizard pages and etc. are configured as extentions and the workflow is uniform that is good. Are there plans to create the same framework of UI components for exporting anything from UDIG to anything outside? Or is common Eclipse platform functionality enough for those purposes?

I want, for example, to merge any number of layers with features of the same type to one layer and export it as a shapefile.. The issue: I again want to follow to common concept of exporting from UDIG.. as it exists with importing approach. Any suggestions.

The answer is somewhere in between, the Eclipse infrastructure is good enough. But we like to make things easy, please see the DataAccess Guide for an outline of a plan for moving export operations in that direction.
-<http://udig.refractions.net/docs/uDig-DataAccessGuide.pdf>

There are some RnD links in the geotools wiki on this topic as well.

They all amount to the same thing, at the end of the day, given a FeatureType and a features to write out a framework can be constructed allowing the user to "Export to..." a shapefile, a database table, etc....

As an example trial consider:
-<http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/COM/ExportSelectedFeatures>

The "operation" is simple, the selected features. The process of exporting is hard coded to shapefile, but that can be changed. The important point is that both the FeatureType to create, and the ability access the data to be written is available.

Jody

Back to the top