Re: [udig-devel] Legend entries/glyphs?

rob_booth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Apologies for using this email list for a very simple question - if there is a
better forum, I'd appreciate being pointed in its direction!
This will be fine, welcome!

My very simple question is : can anyone explain to me what each of the small
symbols next to feature layers mean when you add a new layer?
I would love to - and I can - but only for feature layers. For WMS some of the symbols are provided by the servers themselves. In particular WMS can provide their own symbol for a layer.

The Symbols are supposed to reflect the current style being used to render the layer, and have a different glyph depending on the feature type.

This is where it becomes apparent that this is a developer list - the class that makes the pictures is here:
-<http://udig.refractions.net/docs/api-udig/net/refractions/udig/ui/graphics/Glyph.html>

And it contains ASCII art of each symbol - lets look at one:
-<http://udig.refractions.net/docs/api-udig/net/refractions/udig/ui/graphics/Glyph.html#geometry(org.geotools.styling.Rule)>
It has a little pie slice for polygon - showing the fill and edge color.
It has a line showing how lines are rendered.
And a point showing how points are rendered.

I understand the little clock means it is waiting to load, but thats it! Sometimes I try to load a WFS layer, and I get (what I had assumed to be) a WMS
icon.  I also see red crosses, yellow warning signs, etc?
Is there an explanation of what all these symbols mean somewhere (its not
immediately obvious)
We should add a page in the reference section:
'x' - broken
'!' - warning
'o' - wait
' '  - done

If it say x or warning you can select the layer and see the reason in the status bar, the most common "warning" is "no features rendered" and occurs because the content is off screen.

Jody

Back to the top