Re: [udig-devel] Re: GeoTiff support in 1.0.1?

I'm afraid it isn't so simple as all that. We do have Geotiff and tif + world file support. The problem is they tend to die if it gets bigger than about 1 MB. I think you are right though. If the support is that bad it should be in the unstable feature that can be downloaded from the update site.

Anyone else have comments on that?

Jesse

Matthias Basler wrote:

Hi developers

Jesse wrote:
Currently the raster support is udig is really weak.

OK, that's what I expected. In this case my reasoning is:

uDig explicitely has ".tif" and ".jpeg" and such in the file filter. If uDig is
however not yet at the point where it can actually show such raster file (lets
say GeoTiff or maybe just a certain type of tiff compression) then it should
clearly state this as soon as the user tries to load such a file into the
Catalog.
Doing as if everything's fine and just not showing the image anywhere is NOT a
good behaviour and will result in users believing that there's a bug. (And
actually they are right, because I consider it a bug that uDig didn't warn
them.)

Just a popup
 "Currently only images with world file can be shown."
or
 "This file format is not yet supported."
or
 "This compression type is not yet suppoerted."
or somthing like that would be fine. Currently there's no visible feedback at
all when I try to load my last holiday images into uDig... ;-)

Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx