Re: [udig-devel] UDig Thematic layer plugin

Hi Cedric,

As a matter of fact, a Thematic SLD ui is on the hit list for the 1.0 release. We currently have an SLD editor, but it does not support theming.

The style api has three major players.

1. StyleContent: this is the style object, in the case of SLD it is a org.geotools.styling.Style object. However it can be any object.

2. StyleConfigurator: This the the ui part of the style. It is repsonsible for creating the ui used to edit the style.

3. Renderer: Uses the style object to render.

Since different renders can use completley different style objects, the coupling between the render and the style needs to kept low. In order to acheive this, we decided to create the notion of a style blackboard which is associated with a layer. This way the render and configurator can collaborate without talking to each other.

The Renderer and the StyleConfigurator look for particular style objects on the blackboard in order to do their part. The style content is repsonsible for creating, and persiting the style object.

If you are interested in creating a themed SLD style ui, I suggest you create a new StyleConfigurator which uses the same SLD style object as the current SLD configurator (SLDConfigurator). In order to create a style configurator object, you need to create an extension from the net.refractions.udig.style.styleConfigurator extension point which is located in the net.refractions.udig.style plugin.

Justin

ced wrote:
Hi developpers,
I would like to add contribute uDig with a thematic map plugin that allow user to create different types of thematic maps (ranges, individual, charts(pie and bar),...). I found some code that use openMap to create such thematics (http://jct.sourceforge.net/) and I would like translate it to uDig (using geotools). As I'm not very familiar with eclipse plugins and java in general, I wonder if you could give me some advices on how to start and especially how to change a layer style (polygons color) based on feature values. My first opinion will be to contribute the popumenus of different views (project, catalog, layer) by adding a create thematic map action that create a new thematic layer using a thematic map wizard. Cedric