[udig-devel] Re: German translation - general problem

Jody Garnett wrote:
> > I find that, although I translated all obvious message bundles
> > (except the ones from some catalog import plugins), there are still some
> > English menu items left. [...]
> > If you told me you reused some menus or menu items from other eclipse
> > plugins that would answer the question. Is this the case?
> >
> These come from the Eclipse RCP base that we use, I imagine that we have
> to pick up the appropriate language pack [...]

You're completely right. (Note that this applies to the French translation as
well, of course.)

> You can look at the eclipse language packs, but it sounds like we should
> grab just the subset we need. The language pack is a big download of
> fragments for every language, for the entire Eclipse IDE. Perhaps we can
> talk them into just releasing a RCP language pack....

It's already available. To my own surprise I found the language packs quite
easily (Some days ago I must have missed them ;-) ), and they explicitely
include a RCP language pack. So either this or a subset of it must be included
in the full uDig release.
.. and ...
You will probably have to remove/turn off unsupported languages. Otherwise on,
lets say, an italian PC uDig will show up with English uDig menu entries and
italian Eclipse-based menu entries, I expect. Or is there a more elegant
solution?

BTW: I installed the full SDK pack, added the appropriate packages to the run
configuration (using "Add required plugins") and started uDig - and realized
that I had translated some things differently from the "original" Eclipse
translation. I'll have to correct this.
But it works, anyway! The missing menu items are German now.
Just the "Using the Eclipse help system" page is still English.

Thanks for the hints.
Matthias Basler
c9bama@xxxxxxxxxxx

This mail was sent through http://webmail.uni-jena.de