[udig-devel] User Guide direction

I have come to fairly difficult decision - we have had a fairly good run at maintaining the User's Guide on the confluence wiki.

This has helped is in a number of areas:
- it has allowed us to write the online help in cooperation with the community
- it has allowed the easy cross linking of content

There have been a few downsides: wiki syntax, the export process (involves the manual generation of table of contents files), codehaus availability.

Over the next couple of weeks we will be updating the user's guide, and starting the process of internationalization. While the online help has always been considered "source code" this next batch of work will really make this distinction clear.
As an example individual views will link directly to pages using the F1 key.

The online help is already exported to subversion:
- http://svn.geotools.org/udig/trunk/plugins/net.refractions.udig.help/

I am unhappy that separation makes community documentation contributions harder. At this junction I don't see any other way to proceed. Suggestions are welcome and would be deeply appreciated.

Here is an eclipse plugin that does 90% of everything we need when making online help: - http://www.bastian-bergerhoff.com/eclipse/features/web/tinyHTMLTools/toc.html

The killer app is save&link screen snapshot with a keyboard shortcut.

Jody

Back to the top