Re: [udig-devel] Site Stability M5a Move etc

Hi,

I think you will find I did make a contribution during your transition to M5a last week; the problem I face is that my project is an aggregation of three work steams involving three/four platforms Windows Linux Solaris and possibly AIX with 7 RCP applications plus some rather complex streaming data management systems, covering the fields of system management, remote sensing, data analysis and simulation, the area where uDig is to be incorporated.

I agree with all your comments made last week as to the desirability of moving to the M5 release, and given the past history of Eclipse releases a low risk, however, as I pointed out In last weeks mail, testing of the platform revealed several problem areas specific to our needs, although these can in part be resolved by careful use of release versions of EMF and GEF etc., building from source etc. this would put an intolerable burden on our QA and developers.

We still believe that uDig is our best option and will use uDig in rather a limited form captured around release 8 if you remember we use the picocontainer in the catalogue to interface to our integration bus and the stream data, plus a synthetic layer and 3D rendering for visualization of the simulations, and had hoped to release the code to your developer site post release one (both yours and ours) opening up uDig to the remote sensing domain this will now wait for Eclipse M6 or any fixes that we may discover and merge the two projects at that point.

I would be very interested in any technique you discover for cross developing from 3.0.1 and will join you in that investigation making available any relevant information we discover in that area; look forward to rejoining the project stream later.

Regards

Tony Kennedy

Back to the top