Re: [udig-devel] Feedback on docs and UI

> However, I think you should keep in mind when you make design decisions
> that people will be extending uDig, and in doing so will be thinking
> outside of the GIS box , particularly UI decisions, for instance we make
> extensive use of projects and have extended them to make use of version
> control, we have many  data sets which we need to rerun, this a typical
> situation in the world of remote sensing, and many others that use
> spatial data, uDig  makes a very useful component for displaying spatial
> information for these applications.

+1 on this.  I think it might be nice to eventually have the core udig
stuff very generic, not even really doing much ui focus at all, making few
assumptions about how a user would want to use it, and then a core GIS
user interface as the main instance of it, but not the only one possible.
All the nice installers would focus on the gis app, but developers could
download the core plugins and extend as appropriate, decide on their own
UI.  Open the door for really creative, new ui's based on
geotools/udig/eclipse.

This is where I'm trying to head with the openSDI/GeoServer split - core
functonality that anyone can extend in openSDI - W*S instances in
GeoServer, and then Geonetwork doing metadata stuff, ect., but all on the
same base.  Hopefully opening the door for web gis applications I can't
dream of, since the opensdi framework to access j2ee and geotools will be
in place.

Chris

Back to the top