Re: [udig-devel] Lost in Layerland

Paul Ramsey wrote:

On 9-Dec-04, at 8:56 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

- RenderManager will already need to create a custom stack of Renderers for us to query against based on Infoableness rather than visibility.

You are going to provide querying against currently invisible layers? Seems a little counter-intuitive, n'est pas?

Hrm - I admit that Jesse thought I was insane. But I assumed that was for words like infoable and infoableness...

Back at facet it was fairly common to turn off a layer (because it was expensive to view), and turn on its ability to respond to info querys. You could even play tricks like render one layer at lower accuracy and query against the real data.

Perhaps the additional complexity is not worth the effort, it was very powerful when needed. Regardless of what goes on with the visible and infoable state of a Layer, we still need an easy to understand API for info queries.

Jody

Back to the top