[udig-devel] Re: udig and geoapi

Peter Rushforth wrote:

Hello Jody,

We met back at the GML Dev Days conference in July.  You mentioned
that you guys were going to implement udig a wms wfs client in eclipse.  I
was wondering how the project is going?
It is going very well - we have manged one useful release so far; and are expecting another one later on today.

I've been browsing the GO-1 spec tonight and it seems promising.  I was
wondering if you could answer some questions I couldn't find the answer
to on the web.
The best place to ask for information on GO-1 is on the geo api list where they are actively defining the interfaces. Greg Reynolds and Chris Dillard seem to be the main drivers of this work.

is GEOAPI an implementation of GO-1, if so, what data sources does it
support?
GeoAPI is a shared project between the several leading Java GIS Toolkits. The focus is on providing common interface based on OGC/ISO standards.

Would one be able to develop their own java GIS client with geoapi, and if
so, what data sources will it support?
I am most familiar with Geotools - which supports a number of data sources (oracle, postgis, arcsde, shapefile, vpf, arcgrid, and so on), the other major toolkit is Degree which contains very nice support for the OGG OWS (WFS, WMS, WRS etc...)

I work for statcan as you may remember.  I will be contacting Mark Sondheim
sometime next week at the request of Gordon Deecker.  We would like to
some how provide some support for the work you are doing, provided that
we can directly benefit from the result.  The udig project would seem to
really fit that bill, as well as potentially the geoapi stuff.
That is great news - for our next milestone (Oct 12th) we will be in position to accept additional developers. The developers guide is starting to come together on our public wiki, formal extension points are being nailed down for data access etc...

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hopefully the above outline will get you started, I will try and send you some links on Monday.

Jody

Back to the top