Re: [tracecompass-dev] Question about VM tracing with LTTng and Virtual Machine Analysis inside TraceCompass

[Resending, with the proper account.. Sorry!]

On Tue, 2021-02-16 at 13:30 -0500, Jonathan Rajotte-Julien wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 04:38:14PM +0000, tracecompass developer
> discussions wrote:
> >
> > - In the section "LTTng-modules addons kernel module with dynamic
> > tracepoints", when compiling the modules, we get the following
> > errors:
> >

> I see "old_lttng" in the directory hierarchy of these log. What
> version
> are we
> talking about here?

We're using the latest available LTTng release (either from openSUSE
packages or installed from sources).

> > Is there a more updated version of those repositories that we can
> > use, or is the process for doing a VM analysis different from what
> > is
> > described in those two sections of TraceCompass documentation?
>
> AFAIK you can use any lttng-modules > 2.9 here.
>
> ""
> As of LTTng-modules 2.9, the net_dev_queue and net_if_receive_skb
> tracepoints contain all the necessary data to synchronize the traces.
> ""

Ah, ok, so does that paragraph mean that if one uses 2.9+, everything
is there already? That would be cool!

> Kernel tracer (LTTng-modules):
> https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules/releases/tag/v2.12.4
>
> Userspace tracer (LTTng-ust):
> https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/releases/tag/v2.12.0
>
> LTTng-tools:
> https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/releases/tag/v2.12.2

Yep, that's exactly what we're using.

If we do not need anything special for trace synchronization, this will
leave us with only the "addons_vm" part to take care of:

https://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass.incubator/doc/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.virtual.machine.analysis.doc.user/Virtual-Machine-Analysis-User-Documentation.html

Or is that also not necessary?

Thanks a lot and Regards

--