Re: [technology-pmc] FW: ESE 2010: 1701 - Introduction to Sapphire has been declined

Am 13.09.2010 21:16, schrieb Konstantin Komissarchik:
> It was proposed as a long talk. My expectation is that the PC would try to
> fill that and if not possible would work with proposers to see if the talk
> can be compressed into a shorter time slot. That has been commonplace in
> prior conferences.

That was my understanding as well. From looking at a few submissions, it
appears that the PC at least successfully converted a few from long to
short. I think that at some point, they just run out of short slots as well.

> The lack of transparency is very troubling to me as well. I would expect
> more conversation to be taking place between PCs and submitters. My other
> talk in the technology space (that one on showing broad applicability of
> project facets) was also rejected. That was a short talk. Also no comments.

It looks like a general procedure that happened. I can understand the
huge amount of work involved in answering every single submission.

However, I do remember that it was better at some point when we used a
'customized' Bugzilla version. It allowed to do public voting by PC
members which also allowed to put a comment in. All submissions has to
be voted anyway so the amount of extra work wouldn't be that much. I
know it because I participated in the PC back that time.

> Besides the lack of transparency, what troubles me is that the conference
> focus isn't designed to cover the Eclipse ecosystem as a whole, but is
> rather heavily slanted towards hot and trendy topics of today.

Oh, I don't that this is the case. I had a quick look minutes ago and
the accepted submissions in the runtime space so far look like a good
mixture.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht