Re: [sumo-user] Air traffic

> Hi, I have question about the new vClasses "aircraft".
Are there plans to add air traffic? Or what it is generally good for?

I've used sumo to model airports and some drone activities (just out of interest) - my observations:
a) Modelling airport ground movements and multi-modal traffic (passenger, bus, rail, cargo, catering, etc) works well today, with the caveat that aircraft tug/pushback behaviour isn't really practical - you can do it at airports with small numbers of stands but at larger airports it's just too messy.

b) if you're not using traci to behave as ground control/tower control modelling spaced takeoff/landing needs some fudging and won't be correct.

c)it works because in larger airfields ground movements of all traffic, including aircraft, follow strict routes, even across the apron - so you can set up roads/railways mapping these routes. Modelling smaller fields with free movement across the apron won't work.

d) passenger loading/unloading times on transit buses/tube lines/aircraft has to be set to unrealistic values because load/unload is at a single point. I haven't yet tried the doors features of v20 that may fix this.

e) I looked at airway modelling and decided it wasn't really sensible/could not envisage a use case that would model anything that excel wouldn't:
i) distances are huge relative to road distances - meaning you have a long duration simulation for a single vehicle travelling hundreds of miles
ii) airway transit is about changing flight level - you need to handle this to get climb/descent timings right
iii) using the gui, even just to check behaviour, simply doesn't work on this scale.

f) if you assume that eventually drones will be subject to similar airway restrictions as aircraft to avoid collisions then it should be feasible to model them using sumo vehicles - because the range of 'flight levels' available and distances travelled will be relatively small.

g) if you assume that drone traffic will be uncontrolled and reliant on collision avoidance, then using sumo vehicles won't be practical because drones will try to travel in straight lines between launch and destination. (ie there won't be a road network)

h) I have had reasonable success modelling this latter style of drone behaviour using a sumo poi to model a drone and traci to manage flight.

Cheers
Div

Back to the top