Re: [sumo-user] Variable traffic flows, density and arrival times

Vehicles( pedestrians, bikes, cars, trucks, rickshaws, trains, planes etc) in Sumo can only traverse paths/roads/tracks defined in the net file.

If your EV's are only going to be charged in specific 'lay-by' locations on the road network then I guess you could create a secondary set of roads/rails, restricted to 'drones', overlaying the road network as 'airways' - not necessarily following the roads but visiting each charge lay-by.

It's also easy enough to neutralise the colours of specific road classes to make them disappear or merge into a background image - ie allowing the gui representation to have invisible routes.

The issue being that you cannot model ad-hoc point to point routes for the drones - there has to be an 'airway' for sumo to model against.

( Not necessarily a "gotcha" - I think it is likely that drone traffic will end up being mandated to airway equivalents simply to avoid collisions - 3d collision avoidance and responsive enough drone manoeuverability to make that work is just not practical or even on the drawing board - the consequences of flying energy packs colliding and dropping onto a school, hospital etc are unpleasant.)

I had some success modelling airports using an 'aircraft' shape and rail lines as taxiways/runways etc.  I did look at modelling real airways but the huge distances involved relative to vehicle sizes and the variation in flight levels meant the gui representation was just a bunch of lines - I concluded that the only bit worthy of modelling was probably the terminal area zones.

good luck
div