[sumo-user] SUMO Edge stat collection assert fails (Inconsistent)

Hi SUMO experts,

My simulation completes successfully for a given network and routes.

But when I try to collect edge stats, my simulation fails on
assert(timeBeforeEnter <= MIN2(timeBeforeEnterBack, timeBeforeLeaveFront))
in /sumo/sumo_1_6_0/src/microsim/output/MSMeanData.cpp. And it fails on a
default vehicle type and its state looks like below right before the assert:

lane length: 8.97
oldPos: -1.69
newPos: 8.97
oldPosBack: -6.69
newPosBack: 3.97
timeBeforeEnter: 0.16
timeBeforeEnterBack: 0.63
timeBeforeLeaveFront: 0.00

When I change --step-length from 1 to 0.5, it succeeds. Then when I try a
different route file with with --step-length=0.5, SUMO fails.

My network and route files looks alright. What could be causing this error?

I would appreciate any ideas and comments. Thanks!