[sumo-user] Trapping routing errors

I'm trying to simulate identical traffic -- trips with the same start and end points, and scheduled to leave at the same time -- across multiple road networks. The road networks are supposed to have identical edges, but the intersections differ from network to network. Every edge should be reachable from every edge, though in some cases the routes may be roundabout due to restrictions on allowed turns, and I'm not sure if the routing algorithm does a complete enough search to always find a valid route.

I'm currently generating the sets of trips using randomTrips.py with one of the network files, and I use the same trips file (start and end edges, not middle) with all of the different network files. Although if I did everything correctly, the trips should be viable for all the different networks, and most trips are OK in all the different networks; but contrary to my expectation, the simulation often stops because it can't find a path between one edge and another edge.

I am using the option --ignore-route-errors which I thought would have let the simulation skip trips that it can't find a route for. However, it's still happening and the whole simulations are stopping. I'm using TraCI to run each step, but I'm not putting in the trips that way, rather I'm using a route file.

I thought about trapping the error in python (try except), but I don't see how to do this using a route file. All I can think of is something that would take considerably more work: obtaining the list of all edges, and choosing start and end points and departure times), adding the trips by using traci.vehicle.add(), and using try: except: on the traci.vehicle.add(). This seems (guessing) like more work than necessary, like I'm overlooking a better solution.

Any ideas about where I might be going wrong, so I can make corrections more easily?

Rich Tasgal

Back to the top