[sumo-user] Vehicles stopping instead of going through intersections into open lanes

In many of my simulations it seems that gridlock is worse than it needs to be (and probably worse than in real life) because often vehicles stop at an intersection and wait much longer than necessary even though there is an empty outgoing lane available to them. For example, in the attached picture, cars coming from the top are waiting an excessively long time to turn to their right (our left) even though there are outgoing lanes open to them.

The intersections are of type priority, and all the roads are the equal priority.

I hope the allowed turns and the cars' turning signals are sufficiently visible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich Tasgal