Re: [sumo-user] Keeping railroad crossings clear

The keep-clear behavior works best when the jam on the downstream edge develops slowly. When there is a sudden transition from free flowing traffic to stopped traffic, vehicles cannot anticipate the change and thus end up blocking an intersection. In reality, road designers are careful to avoid situations where the traffic directly downstream of a level crossing becomes blocked. For your road layout there would most likely be some coordination between the rail crossing and the traffic light to avoid this situation. You could achieve a similar thing by placing a nother traffic light ahead of the railroad crossing and then defining a joint controller for that light and the big intersection.
https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/NETEDIT.html#creating_joined_traffic_lights

regards,
Jakob