Re: [starter-dev] [jakartaee-ambassadors] Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Jakarta EE Starter Usage Data

Hi,

On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 22:47, Kito Mann via starter-dev <starter-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think we should consider what the role of Jakarta EE is... is it to standardize existing patterns and features, or is it to be innovative?

Likewise, we should consider the role of the Micro Profile. Originally we said something about it being a Staging Profile, but in practice we seem to have forgotten about that.

The idea at some point was that APIs could be incubated in the Micro Profile, and once mature move to another Jakarta EE Profile. But that didn't happen. I thought it was very natural to migrate JWT for instance to Jakarta Security, but there was a wall of resistance there, and instead a compromise with some Bridge Spec had to be introduced. And then even the Bridge Spec itself got another compromise.

Muddying the waters is that both MicroProfile and Jakarta EE already have additional "staging", which is simply specs that are standalone and outside the main "platform" releases. E.g. NoSQL and MVC in Jakarta EE, and Long Running Transactions in the Micro Profile.

So in practice the Micro Profile does not function itself as a staging Profile. Once something is in there, it's seemingly in there for good (unless pruned of course, but definitely not moved to EE). Both have actual staging outside their platform releases.

In other words; yet again a reason why there's no reason Jakarta EE and MicroProfile have to be separated things (sorry Emily for bringing it up again :P)

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms