[servlet-dev] RFC 6585 Additional HTTP status codes

Hi,

I am starting the final proof read of the Servlet spec. Possibly the
first time I will have read the spec from cover to cover in one go.
Anyway...

We reference RFC 6585 under "Other Important References" but we make no
other reference to it in the spec. Neither do we declare constants for
those status codes in HttpServletResponse.

We also reference RFC 7231 which in turn references the IANA registry
for status codes.

So, my question is what do we want to do about the various HTTP status
codes that have been added?

My current thinking is:
- remove the RFC 6585 reference from the spec because:
  a) we don't reference it or the status codes it defines
  b) there are many other status codes
  c) all the status codes are in the IANA registry which is referenced
     by RFC 7231 (which we do reference)
- create an issue for 5.1 to create constants for all the status codes
  in the IANA registry

Thoughts?

Mark

Back to the top