Re: [servlet-dev] References to old versions of the Spec

Sorry, late to this discussion (on vacation)... but I support simplification of the document (ie removing since references) and just the maintenance of a changelog.

cheers

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 10:50, Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/02/2020 22:33, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2020, 9:31 pm Mark Thomas, <markt@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/02/2020 20:05, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 23:18, Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>
>     > <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 31/01/2020 18:37, Bill Shannon wrote:
>     >     > The history / change log should be removed, or rather
>     cleared out and
>     >     > added to going forward.
>     >
>     >     Just to clarify, do you mean this section should be empty or
>     should it
>     >     contain a single line (assuming it is the only change) that
>     says that,
>     >     compared to Servlet 4.0, the packages have been renamed from
>     javax to
>     >     jakarta ?
>     >
>     >     If the answer to the above question is yes then I guess we'd need
>     >     another line for "cosmetic only formatting/layout changes as a
>     result of
>     >     importing the specification text"
>     >
>     >
>     > Do we really want to do that? It has been moved from one system to
>     > another, so this would be a huge amount of work for and I don't really
>     > see any value in it.
>
>     I don't understand the concern. Removing most of the changelog content
>     and adding a couple of simple lines should be a trivial amount of work
>     (it was for JSP anyway). Where do you see the "huge amount" work coming
>     from?
>

> I misunderstood, I was thinking that there would be a reference to every
> cosmetic change, rather than just a single line. I am going to blame it
> on lack of sleep due to a new baby:-)

No problem. Sorry my explanation wasn't clear. Glad we cleared up the
confusion. I'll leave you to get some sleep ;)

Cheers,

Mark