Re: [sdv-wg] Proposal to form a Rust SiG within Eclipse SDV
  • From: Florian Gilcher <florian.gilcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 05:36:20 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ferrous-systems.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ferrous-systems.com; dkim=pass header.d=ferrous-systems.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=O9MdSZ4RPi8eIASHva59GOhfunUxHGapPeIQoy2qUdk=; b=Pmug+hsiLcMi8XbYQV5/pyCDzAOZgpVY9O3NcC0C2KVdSYdvGg0ovoyXm+KsWIVLPrXb3Pm91/jbadwxvKWMOzCPO/xS1n4KXL9GaWBdL+8NtHfi5cYflvvqhvk7GWDQ+T3Q5aQlm9vEM9oO8JLyZqyXKP067VPfyAX/zsCtATDuhi6+jj5GJ8lbCvP2XaeyIixRyKFmSOGwdZom4ZwXnR25nhSGwUtVSerteQtzFG8gnASM606S7CvpkEj9rhIME2WMoBy6XhwtXYeyQaE1mtUgJ8336hj9df05byzvHSeTitFAFsxrc3SA4bhoYcxx7w9WWur791mPgYGvLwnFsg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=SkFMZ20FPw/iCZ9Z/qau2Yddkok500v63zjArQBWZ8tBjM23vYuUNqKSqpSdGiD/w+90AMPt23x+jX62MfxZOzkfVEHOWaKO3qnRYWIIsiDGf0ahCjgv7KgjghlNl4WLaSC4uI1u2jxIWPRSPvvYZ0ZO3vVC8G/AFK5dhqZGO7Gt+g/9ywUREAspmmEszj4UtAYZz03YjhH2gZQ3BlUShtoY0xk380AO54QMwjNTJBhQxhpv6VSHpqCZJtibQk6/oBNaXVwY7327b8jNhREG0zPyu4ndBOfJDAux+nLYQwH5MWXvSYHHRNF1EOlg969NH1ju9t5WhUF2tnWl5uozxQ==

Hi Chris,

Thanks for highlighting that! I’m a contributor to both of these initiatives and we are aware of each other and want to collaborate. For this reason, particularly collaboration with the forming group in the Foundation is an explicit goal.

Let me extend on this a little. FWIW, I was a core team member of the Rust Project and am one of the initial signatories of the Rust Foundation.

We’ve had a few discussions about that beforehand decided to propose this groups for several reasons:

  • Eclipse SDV has a number of Rust projects of considerable size. Exchange of practice between those is a discussion not fit for the other groups, but a useful one to have. This goes to the point where the next community day is focused on Rust and it’s a frequent topic at previous community days.
  • The Rust Foundation group will highly likely drive evolution of the compiler and core tooling first and foremost at the beginning. That may change, the group has neither goal nor charter yet and is aiming for a first meeting in September @ RustConf. It will not be active before.
  • It is useful to build experience in how to interact with all of those bodies (e.g. the Rust Foundation and the Rust Project are separate), something we can be very confusing to people. If we do that withing Eclipse and have a touch point, we keep the load off the other entities.

Also, with my background in the Rust project and e.g. how the interaction with the embedded working group went, it has always been good for the project for interest groups to form independently, rather than attempting to unify too strongly.

Greetings from Berlin,

Florian

---

Florian Gilcher

Managing Director

m. +49 172 8122469

Ferrous Systems GmbH

Boxhagener Str. 79

D-10245 Berlin

AG Charlottenburg, HRB 200196

Geschäftsführung: Felix Gilcher, Florian Gilcher