Re: [rest-dev] [External] : Moving forward from Jakarta Rest 4.0 (vote/opinions wanted)

There is no need to keep unused git branches. We can simply replace them by git tags, effectively preventing them from getting GC'ed, still to be found if needed, but definitively not listed as branches (hence getting better overview).

-Markus

Von: rest-dev [mailto:rest-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Santiago Pericasgeertsen via rest-dev
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Mai 2024 14:45
An: Jakarta Rest project developer discussions
Cc: Santiago Pericasgeertsen
Betreff: Re: [rest-dev] [External] : Moving forward from Jakarta Rest 4.0 (vote/opinions wanted)

Jim,

On May 3, 2024, at 10:30 AM, Jim Krueger via rest-dev <rest-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

First a big thanks to everyone who helped to get Jakarta Rest 4.0 out for EE11!!

 Yes, indeed!

Now that most everything is done it is time to move on.   Here is a tentative plan for our branches.  Do others agree or have other suggestions?

Current Branches:

  • main (currently used for 4.0 release, with no updates since)
  • 4.0.0 (This branch was apparently automatically created by eclipse when the release went to ballot?  I assume it is to be used as a service branch for 4.0? )

 Yes.

  • release-4.0 (Was the original branch used when the plan was to remove @Context injection and is now obsolete)
  • 4.0.0-M1 (an attempt made by me back in December  and never delivered or made official)
  • 4.0.0-M2 (another attempt by me and never delivered or made official)
  • release-5.0 (working branch containing the start of work to deprecate @Context and other items for Jakarta Rest 5.0)

Option for moving forward:

  • main (to be used for forward development)
  • 4.0.0 (This is presumably the service release branch)
  • 4.0.0-M1 (remove)
  • 4.0.0-M2 (remove)
  • release-4.0 (Rename to “release-4.0-relic”:  Likely none of the content in this branch is useful at this point, but probably good to retain for a while in case)
  • release-5.0 (move relevant changes to main branch and remove, avoiding dual maintenance with main)

 I agree. We should do this ASAP and redirect any relevant PRs in flight to the new branches, if necessary.

— Santiago

Back to the top