Re: [ptp-dev] Git PTP project recommendations, rebase etc.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Beth Tibbitts <tibbitts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Brian.
So, can you explain in lay terms what these settings actually do and what happens if they aren't set?

The difference is the following: It only makes a difference, if you have made a commit since the last pull and also someone else pushed a commit since then, so that you have one commit each newer in the local and remote branch. The standard pull uses the merge strategy and creates a merge commit which rejoins those two diverged histories. A rebase rewrites your commit to be on top of the remote commit (by undoing it and then reapplying it - also called cherry-pick). The end result for the code is the same. For the history the difference is that in one case you have the merge commit and in the other case a linear history.

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Rebasing has this illustrated with images.

Roland

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Brian Watt---03/25/2013 05:04:41 PM---At EclipseCon I attended a 1/2 day Tutorial on Advanced GIT topBrian Watt---03/25/2013 05:04:41 PM---At EclipseCon I attended a 1/2 day Tutorial on Advanced GIT topics by Tim Berglund. I want to report

Brian Watt/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/25/2013 05:04 PM

Re: [ptp-dev] Git PTP project recommendations, rebase etc.

    Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

At EclipseCon I attended a 1/2 day Tutorial on Advanced GIT topics by Tim Berglund. I want to report back that near the end of the session Tim suggested that GIT should be configured as we in PTP have done, that is, set branch.autosetuprebase to always and set branch.master.rebase to true. This is to confirm Beth's recent question about our Development Environment setup instructions at http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/environment_setup_70. Bottom line, our instructions are still valid, that is, we should continue to define these two settings.

Bri