Re: [ptp-dev] resource_manager.xsd version 5 questions/comments

Dave,

1)  I'm not quite sure how you're thinking this should work.  It seems to me that there should indeed be an attribute on the job-attribute marking it for OS.  The RM implementation needs to be agnostic as to what it really is (LL, PE, etc.).  If there is a general filtering mechanism, this can be implemented, I think, without too much difficulty.  For dynamic attributes, I just assumed that whatever command you configure to get them will give you the correct ones.

2)  This is one-size-fits all.  It's basically saying to the user:  here's an editor; take a customized script you've written, or write one, and that's what we'll give to the launch command.  What you see is what you get.

3)  I see no problem adding one or more enumeration types that correspond to those variants.  This widget I envisaged as being a double widget:  a text box followed by a push button.  But the dialog that comes up could be different based on the subtype.

Thanks, Al

----- Dave Wootton <dwootton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Al
> I took a look at version 5 of your schema and I think it generally does
> what I need. Once there is a workable implementation I'll have to
> experiment a bit. I do have a few comments/questions
>
> 1) I was looking at the definition of the argslist element and the
> reference to dynamic attributes. I'm not quite sure hos this is supposed
> to work, but what occurred to me at this point was that I have a run
> configuration that has a set of attributes with values stored in it, where
> I may have used that same run configuration with several different
> resource managers that accept only a subset of the attributes that are in
> the run configuration. For instance I may use the same run configuration
> to run PE applications on both AIX and Linux, where some PE options may
> not be valid on Linux or AIX. Do you anticipate that the resource manager
> will filter the attributes in a run configuration so that only the set of
> valid attributes and their values is displayed in the run configuration
> and passed to the application in the run command? I'm thinking the set of
> allowable attributes that would be displayed and passed to the application
> would be what's defined in the XML file for that configuration and the
> rest of the attributes in the run configuration would be ignored.
>
> 2) In the launch-tab element there's an advancedModeEnabled element that
> allows the user to edit/create a script file. What's expected to be in
> that script file and how does that get passed in the run command. Is this
> expected to be the exact command(s) used to invoke the application or is
> it something like a .rc file with a bunch of environment variable
> settings? I think a script with the exact commands would be acceptable
> since this is 'advanced mode', but not sure that's what you intended.
>
> 3) I was looking at the widget element. In there, there is an enumeration
> for browseButton. In my PE implementation, I have three different
> variations of a selector dialog, browse for an existing directory, where
> only directories can be selected. browse for existing file which accepts
> only file selections and browse for file where the user may type in the
> name of a new file once he navigates to the desired directory. Do we want
> that level of specification in the schema?
>
> Dave

Back to the top