Re: [ptp-dev] Helios requirements

I was going to say yesterday that I think we need a call to discuss in detail what each of the requirements mean.
Since we have a scheduled PTP call next Tuesday, perhaps we can wait till then.
I agree there are some challenging requirements here, and I knew about some of them, but not all of them.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Jeffrey Overbey ---04/09/2010 01:41:51 AM---> > There are many requirements that need to be met for tJeffrey Overbey ---04/09/2010 01:41:51 AM---> > There are many requirements that need to be met for the Helios release

Jeffrey Overbey <overbey2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, photran-dev <photran-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

04/09/2010 01:41 AM

Re: [ptp-dev] Helios requirements

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

    There are many requirements that need to be met for the Helios release

Greg,

Did you mention this list of requirements when we first discussed joining Helios?  If so, I missed it... I was not aware of this until Chris mentioned "the rules" a couple days ago and I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into.

I say this because Photran (perhaps not surprisingly) is going to be a problem, and I think the most responsible thing to do is for Photran to pull out of the release train.

All of the following are "required," and we do none of them.

> leverage only published APIs of dependencies.
> use Message Bundles.
> Support Translations.
> Excel in NL support.
> measurable performance criteria
> devote at least one milestone to performance and scalability improvements.
> Test Localization.
> design and test for ... bidi, unicode
> written ramp down policy by M6
> design and test for accessibility compliance
> document accessibility work and compliance
> API Policy Defined and Documented
> define and document their retention policy
> provide some summary metrics
> New & Noteworthy for each milestone

We absolutely don't have the resources to get all of this done in time.  (And, frankly, some of it seems like over-engineering for Photran -- e.g., we have not, in seven years, had a single person request or offer to help with localization, so it's not clear to me why that's a good use of time when there are more pressing issues that users actually want addressed.)

We can still release Photran 6 aroud the same time as Helios (+/- a few weeks), even if we're not part of Helios proper.  Users that want Fortran support in Eclipse have had no problem finding us in the past...

ptp-dev mailing list
ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx