Re: [ptp-dev] More PTP Milestone1A problems

Greg
I downloaded the latest source from PTP head tonight and now can start my proxy using a RSE connection without any problems. Whatever you fixed, thanks for fixing it.
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/18/2008 08:50 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] More PTP Milestone1A problems

Sorry for the confusion! Maybe Chris could help out with getting
dstore working for RDT? I don't have a lot of experience with it.

Greg

On Sep 18, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> [...]
>>> launch
>>> checkbox checked, I would not see the password prompt. In both
>>> cases, the
>>> proxy had to be started manually.
>>>
>>> I now have a stored password in my RSE connection and now when the
>>> manual
>>> launch checkbox is unchecked, I don't see the password prompt, but I
>>> still
>>> have to start the proxy manually.
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>> 09/16/2008 10:34 AM
>>>
>>> Please respond to
>>> Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> cc
>>>
>>> Subject
>>> Re: [ptp-dev] More PTP Milestone1A problems
>>>

>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> Thanks for finding that bug. Working on a fix now. I know this is a
>>> silly
>>> question, but you don't have the manual launch checkbox selected do
>>> you?
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> On Sep 13, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:
>>>

>>> I think I figured out why I was getting a hang in trying to start my
>>> proxy
>>> using a ssh-only RSE connection. It turns out that there is a null
>>> pointer
>>> exception at line 112 of RDEProcessBuilder because the directory()
>>> method
>>> is returning null. It seems taht the constructor for
>>> AbstractRemoteProcessBuilder is called, but the directory(IFileStore
>>> directory) method is never called.  If I change the try block to
>>> try {
>>>                     IFileStore dir;
>>>                     dir = directory();
>>>                     if (dir == null) {
>>>                             hostShell = shellService.runCommand(
>>> "/home/wootton", remoteCmd, env,new NullProgressMonitor());  //$NON-
>>> NLS-1$
>>>
>>>                     }
>>>                     else {
>>>                             hostShell =
>>> shellService.runCommand(directory().toURI().getPath(), remoteCmd,
>>> env,new
>>> NullProgressMonitor());  //$NON-NLS-1$
>>>                     }
>>>             }
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that's the right way to fix it, but it seems to me it
>>> should
>>> work for this specific case since the proxy is invoked by absolute
>>> path.
>>> I get past the null pointer exception and that particular hang. I
>>> end up
>>> still hung a little later though I get the following output in the
>>> console
>>> for my first eclipse session
>>> PE@k17sf2p03ProxyRuntimeClient - firing up proxy, waiting for
>>> connection.
>>> Please wait!  This can take a minute . . .
>>> bind(0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:0)
>>> port=4251
>>> Launch command:
>>> [/home/wootton/pxy/org.eclipse.ptp.rm.ibm.pe.proxy/ptp_ibmpe_proxy,
>>> --proxy=tcp, --host=9.65.138.73, --port=4251, --debug=1, --
>>> trace=Detail,
>>> --suspend_at_startup]
>>> accept thread starting...
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: Last login: Sat Sep 13 10:23:50 2008 from
>>> sig-9-65-138-73.mts.ibm.com
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: cd /home/wootton
>>> PE@k17sf2p03:
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: echo $PWD'>'
>>> PE@k17sf2p03:
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: -bash-3.1$ cd /home/wootton
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: -bash-3.1$
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: -bash-3.1$ echo $PWD'>'
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: /home/wootton>
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: -bash-3.1$
>>> PE@k17sf2p03: -bash-3.1$
>>> PE@k17sf2p03ProxyRuntimeClient: Waiting on accept.
>>>
>>> At that point, proxy startup is hung. I don't see any sign that my
>>> proxy
>>> was run. If I paste the command 'Lauch command:', minus the commas
>>> and run
>>> that on my remote system, then the proxy startup completes and I
>>> have a
>>> running proxy. At that point, I can run a PE job and everything
>>> works
>>> normally.