Re: [ptp-dev] Trace View of the g-Eclipse project

Thomas,
Sorry for the delay in responding; I was at a review meeting all last week.
How much of this pre-reqs running on your grid infrastructure? Hopefully it can also be of use to other parallel machine (more typical PTP user) scenarios.
How is the trace gathered? Perhaps we could also integrate it usin the PTP Performance Tools Framework (PTFw)?
Wyatt and I are in the process of documenting this further; I should have an outline at least there later this week. It should be available at http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/designs/perf_tools_framework
Both Wyatt and I have been out of town etc. but we know this needs to be done so others can use it.

The PTFw would make launching/trace Gathering available from a profile launch, and give a callback to perhaps display the trace view.
Or perhaps your existing infrastructure has some of this?

Thanks for the info and for keeping in touch. PTP and g-eclipse have a lot in common.

When is the parallel tools meeting in Stuttgart?

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511
Inactive hide details for Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck@xxxxxxxxxx>Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          06/19/08 04:56 AM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

[ptp-dev] Trace View of the g-Eclipse project

Hello everyone

I just wanted to announce that the first version of the trace view plugin
which is being developed as a part of the g-Eclipse project is in the
g-Eclipse CVS repository in Karlsruhe now. (It is not yet in the SVN
repository on eclipse.org, I guess this requires some legal process first).
We do not have a built yet but I think this should be the case soon.

The plugins are:
- eu.geclipse.traceview
 This is the main plugin, which provides the physical clock
 and the lamport clock visualisation of the trace data. It
 also contains some basic markers (these can be used by
 plugins to mark regions of interest).

 Physical graph:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/traceview_physical.png

 Lamport graph:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/traceview_lamport.png

 A marker that shows the cause and effect relations on a
 selected event:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/traceview_marker.png

 The plugin requires some g-Eclipse core plugins from the
 SVN repository on eclipse.org.

- eu.geclipse.traceview.debug
 This plugin provides the debugging functionality for MPI
 programs started on a remote grid site using the glogin tool.
 This is the part where we think it would make most
 sense to reuse parts of PTP or to add the glogin
 connection type (maybe through some abstraction) for
 remote debugging to the PTP tools.
 This plugin has a dependency to CDT.

- eu.geclipse.traceview.nope
 A trace reader for the NOPE trace format.

 Here is an example project+trace:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/poisson.tar.gz

- eu.geclipse.traceview.otf
 A very basic trace reader for the OTF file format.
 It can only open a few OTF files yet.

- eu.geclipse.traceview.statistics
 An example plugin for the extension of the trace view by
 other visualisation types, this plugin provides extension
 points for statistic data providers that generate statistical
 data out of the trace and for visualisation types that can
 visualise the different types of data.

 Screenshot:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/traceview_statistics.png

 This plugin has a dependency to BIRT

If you have questions feel free to ask. If you are at the parallel tools
workshop in Stuttgart we can also talk about it there if you like.

Regards,
Thomas