Re: [ptp-dev] Proxy Protocol

I don't see a response from Greg so I'll try to answer this (see below).

Craig

On Jun 22, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Feiyi Wang wrote:

Greg -

Pls see the follow-up question inline

Greg Watson wrote:
No, the wire protocol only specifies the message structure.
The transport protocol is currently TCP/IP, but this will probably change when I finish adding remote support. It's likely that one of the options will be to tunnel across an ssh connection. Also, a static port number is not used. Eclipse generates a dynamic port number which the proxy connects to (it's passed as a command line argument to the proxy.)

Can you elaborate more on the process on how this connection should be established? From the spec, it gives me the impression that backend proxy should act as a server, but, it is "command-driven" by the eclipse front. Aforementioned (and the code itself) indicate the proxy does connect back to Eclipse front (a dynamic port as server port?).

Currently the remote proxy (remote from the Eclipse instance) must be started from the command line by hand or via an exec (if on the same machine as Eclipse is running). The command line contains the port number that the remote proxy is to attempt to connect to. Once a connection is established, the remote proxy listens to commands from Eclipse and then response to them.

Greg has been working on a way to start up the remote proxy from Eclipse using an ssh connection. He is also considering using the ssh connection as the "wire" over which to send commands and receive events. In this case the TCP/IP port wouldn't be used but the wire protocol would stay the same.

Hope this helps,
Craig

Thanks

Feiyi