[ptp-dev] ANTLR v3 Update

Hey gang,

As we discussed at the PTP call today, I did a quick check with Janet Campbell from Eclipse on the status of ANTLR v3 from their perspective. No one has taken v3 through a contribution review yet so we don’t have conclusive evidence one way or the other. But she did mention that she remains hopeful that Terence is working hard on keeping the IP clean and that the door isn’t closed on it yet.

It looks from the ANTLR site and the list of bugs open on v3 that it should be released soon. Fall 2006, and even though it is starting to feel like winter here in Ottawa, we’re not there yet. Janet asked that we wait for the final so that we can help with their workload by not running it through twice in quick succession.

In the meantime, I want to take a good look at LPG. Despite being LALR, it mentions in the advertising that it has backtracking support, which is a key requirement for languages based on C, and I’m sure Fortran too. So it might work, but we’ll see.

Feedback welcomed,

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

Eclipse CDT Project Lead, Tools PMC Member

Back to the top