[ptp-dev] sdm/gdb Failed to get stack frames from backend

Hello all,

I’m having a problem with sdm/gdb when I try to debug a parallel hello world file. I launch eclipse –clean from an xterm so I can watch the output. I see this error message:

got debug event: EVENT_DBG_ERROR 03ff 4 Debugger error: Failed to get stack frames from backend

======================= EVENT_DBG_ERROR ====================

I hope that’s enough output, otherwise I can post the complete output. My program will run fine in eclipse, but the debug does not. I have verified that the program runs from the command line fun with both kdbg and ddd by issuing the following commands.

#mpirun -np 2 -debug ddd newParallelHelloTest

#mpirun -np 2 -debug kdbg newParallelHelloTest

when I do:

#mpirun -np 2 -debug gdb newParallelHelloTest

it opens a (gdb) prompt. Typing run does not seem to do anything.

However, if I run

#gdb newParallelHelloTest

And execute ‘(gdb) run’, it will correctly run a single job saying ‘hello, I am 0 of 1’

I’m not familiar with gdb (or any of these debuggers), but I was trying to establish if gdb would run my code okay outside of eclipse.

I have verified this problem with the same ‘Failed to get stack frames from backend’ error on 3 machines. 2 run 64 bit Gentoo Linux, the other runs 32 bit Gentoo.

The main system I’ve tested on is my own, which runs 64 bit Gentoo Linux

Dual Opteron, 4GB’s of RAM

Linux version 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 (root@wuosglinux) (gcc version 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)) #8 SMP

Gdb version 6.5

I download eclipse 3.2 from the website and run in out of my home directory. I installed CDT through the eclipse update manager. I installed these 4 additional files:

org.eclipse.ptp-1.0.0.tar.gz

            org.eclipse.ptp.debug-orte-linux-x86_64-1.0.0.tar.gz

            org.eclipse.ptp.mpi-1.0.tar.gz

            org.eclipse.ptp.orte-linux-x86_64-1.0.0.tar.gz

I was able to install to of them with the eclipse update manager. The other two untar into the eclipse/ path.

The eclipse ptp debug perspective does not allow me to step in or step through a running debug job. The options are grayed out. If I try to launch 10 processes of my test hello world, then 10 sdm’s start running and use 100% of both my cpus.

Does anyone know what’s causing this or have a suggestion what to try?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Henerey
Washington University in St. Louis