[ptp-dev] Update on what I'm working on

I'm still redesigning in the Model Manager and the interface to the Monitoring and Control systems. This change was necessitated by major misunderstandings with the Open MPI team, but they're going to end up for the better for us, making our system more compatible with MPICH, for example.

I've had to make changes to most of the base classes, Machine, Node, Job, Process for instance. I've also made many changes to the interfaces to the Control and Monitoring systems. What I've got now works about 80% of the way, but it's not ready yet to commit. I'm also scared about what will happen when I do, given the number of files I've touched in a major way.

The internal model now fills up asynchronously, instead of blocking as it did before until it knew about the entire parallel machine. This has lots of ramifications on how the UI code works, as it has to be able to handle having a model that may not be there or may have entries that aren't entirely populated - like knowing there are 6 nodes, but only 3 of the nodes have names, and 5 of the nodes have their states... it's going to be challenging but rewarding in the end.

This also has effects on things that Clement put in, like monitors, as many of the operations are instant and not blocking.

We'll see how it turns out.

--
-- Nathan
Correspondence