RE: [ptp-dev] easyeclipse

Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> FDT and Photran have been merged into Photran.  Since Photran uses
> CDT, a distribution with CDT and Photran would be great.
Thanks! So that would be a base lineup.
We typically also add some essential utilities that provide UI shortcuts
and make life easier in eclipse like anyedit, or eclipse-utils,
cbg.editor and other useful goodies.
Any idea of what would make sense for you?
Would you typically edit other file types like XML, HTML and so on?
Or need specific networking plugins with support for FTP, SSH/STFP,
Webdav?

A couple more questions:
- there are a few interesting add-ons to CDT that can be valuable but I
do not know if those would be of interest to you. I have listed some
here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1473623&group_i
d=131065&atid=719798
Could you comment on that list if there are things that should make it
in a base distro?

- would there be some essential existing Fortran or C++ library or
HTML/PDF documentation that you would always install? (we could then
package those as plugins )

- Coul there be things that could be done to make the setup easier like
bundling a Fortran compiler as a plugin, or something similar that would
make getting started with the run time faster?

- in terms of platforms we typically support Mac (ppc & x86) , Linux
(x86) and Windows (x86). Are there specific OS/architecture combinations
that are more popular? Other *nix? 64bits support?

Greg Watson wrote:
> Other optional components you could add to the base, and that would
> support commonly used languages:
> - PyDev
> - EPIC
Cool. That is something we already package. Would you bundle those in
the parallel distro in addition to the base? Or just have them as
standalone add-ons?

> Parallel Scientific Computing:
> - Base
> - PTP (Includes parallel runtime, debugger and parallel language
> development tools)
> The current version (1.0) of PTP only supports the Open Runtime
> Environment (ORTE), so you'd probably want to call this the ORTE
> distro. In coming versions we will support multiple runtime systems
> and resource managers, so the distro would be more generic.
Regarding OpenMPI, is there an opportunity to pre-build and package
things to ease setup?

Are there interesting additional scripts and contributions that would
make sense to bundle with that distro?

>From the discussion with a buddy (which works on climate simulations ) I
understand that simulations jobs can run for several months at times, so
getting the simulation code wrong is *not* option when you have some CPU
times on those scientific computing environments.
Are there tools that could be bundled that help with the
verification/QA?

> Let me know how we can help.
Things that could help a lot could be :
- write a few intro lines for the two distro (the base and the parallel)
and each of the plugins bundled. We use a simple XML document to store
that info.
- write a few getting started documentation lines for each plugins
- define the ideal plugins lineup (which we are doing right now :-) )
and essential add-ons that we could pack/code to make starting up easy
- get a sample pre-configured projects that would help getting started
- tests beta builds in various configurations once we are there :-P

Cordially

--
Cheers
Philippe