Re: [ptp-dev] Process Sets Debugging Problem

Does your program use MPI calls? Remember that functions like MPI_Init () are implicitly barriers, so if some processes have not reached the MPI_Init() other processes that have will be blocked inside the MPI_Init(). This applies to other types of blocking MPI functions as well.

Here is what should happen (screen shots attached) assuming you're not blocking.

After you have set the breakpoints, the situation should be:

Process	Breakpoints
0	{43}
1	{34, 43}
2	{34}
3	{34}

Assuming all processes are stopped at 'main' , resuming 'newset1' will cause the following:

Process	Location
0	43
1	34
2	main
3	main

What happens when you resume 'newset2' will depended on when the resume is received by process 1, since it will ignore the resume unless it is suspended.

Before suspend:

Process	Location
0	43
1	34
2	34
3	34

After suspend:

Process	Location
0	43
1	43
2	34
3	34

In my test, the result was the first case because I resumed 'newset2' immediately after I resumed 'newset1' and there are a bunch of sleep () calls in the code. Notice that process 0 is suspended on line 43 and processes 1-3 on line 34.

Hope this helps,

Greg

TIFF image

TIFF image