Re: [platform-swt-dev] JFace and SWT organizational question

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx> Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:36:04 -0400

"Nick Edgar" <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxxxxx> Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:47:59 -0400
> We have no plans to bundle JFace with SWT or to support JFace as a
> separate component from the Eclipse UI.

... which is what I assume Burnette meant by "physical," but how about
the logical, or at least communicational, sense?

Empirically, users are pretty good at figuring out when they have a UI
problem :-) (Note that I am using "UI" in the common sense, not in the
Eclipse-specific platform-ui sense.) But empirically they have
difficulty differentiating problem etiologies/domains between SWT and
JFace. Thus we have many threads of the form

+ I have this problem ...

- This is a Y problem, not an X problem. Please post in the
  appropriate venue.

While the current communicational division (platform-{swt, ui}-dev,
e.platform<|.swt>) may map cleanly to personnel organization, I sense
it is not efficiently helpful to users.

Back to the top