Re: [platform-releng-dev] Heads up: org.eclipse.compare pom in needs updating

Hi all,

It seems to me that the magic script that fixes the pom files at build-time does too much magic to ensure other flavors of the Platform Build (such as the one I've tried) work well.
Let's imagine this magic script wouldn't run, what would have been the scenario?
1. Someone commits a change in MANIFEST.MF and forgot it in pom.xml
2. Nightly build would have failed because MANIFEST.MF and pom.xml are not in sync
3. A bug would have been opened and would have been fixed quickly (because fix is trivial, and since it prevents the build to run usually makes it fixed faster)
4. Next Nightly is OK
5. An I-Build is triggered for a commit that built successful as a nightly, so it should work.
6. Aggregated repo gets updated
7. Consumers of aggregated repo have something that works.

Pro: External build always work
Cons: 1 nightly is lost

I understand and agree that having to edit both MANIFEST and pom is annoying. However, it's a requirement for build to work, and not having them in sync is a bug. Having this script to change automatically pom almost hides this bug so that aggregated repo consumers can have failures.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat