Re: [platform-core-dev] New platform NLS support

> John Arthorne wrote:
> > The property files are still around (mainly because this is a
convenient
> > and familiar format for translators).  I said the only *extra* work was

> > to define the field for the key.  As before, the key must also exist in

> > the properties file.  This is where the "opportunity for tooling" comes

> > in to help keep these files in sync :)
>
> I'm still missing a piece. Translation is typically done after the fact,
> without access to the source code or requiring a re-compilation.
> Further, the selection of which national resource to use must be
> dynamic. It sounds very much like in this scheme key names are constants
> in the code, like:
>
> public static final String KEY1 = "hello";
>
> How does this change to "bonjour" when I am in France?

The static field is not final and does not have a value set in code...we
set the value at runtime.

See the following doc for more info:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/documents/3.1/message_bundles.html

Back to the top