Re: [pde-ui-dev] Using the plug-in manifest editor for "properties-to-xml" editor

HI Ploett,

FormEditor and company in the org.eclipse.ui.forms  plugin is the generic
framework that PDE uses.

Of course, these classes are model-agnostic.

So if you want to build an editor around your particular model, you could
look at the plugin editor implementation in the
org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.editor for ideas.
The PDE models are too specific to be reusable enough to become API.

Wassim.

             "Ploett Norbert"
             <norbert.ploett@s
             iemens.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             pde-ui-dev-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [pde-ui-dev] Using the plug-in
             05/27/2005 09:41          manifest editor for
             AM                        "properties-to-xml" editor

             Please respond to
              "Eclipse PDE UI
             developers list."

Hello folks,

I consider creating an editor which will generate an xml file from a set
of properties that a user will enter into a form. The form makes sure
that the user will not do anything that is not allowed by the schema.
This is pretty much what the plug-in manifest editor does, so I am
wondering whether I could recycle a major part of it.

I looked into the org.eclipse.pde.ui plug-in and it seems that the
relevant classes are defined in the
org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.editor.plugin package. My questions:

- Is there any documentation on the design of the plug-in manifest
editor other than the (scarce) javadoc comments there?
- I do not like to build upon classes from "internal" packages, can you
point me to the places where the public parts of the framework are?
- Is this the right place to look in at all? (and is this the right
mailing list?)

Thanks for any hints / pointers.

Norbert Ploett