Re: [papyrus-rt-dev] State machine inheritance

Some comments about the installation below.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:46 AM Peter Cigéhn <peter.cigehn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[bvs] Once again, I must rail against the complexity of getting a valid copy of Papyrus RT. It is never simple and I am never sure of the results. This has got to be fixed.

Please, keep in mind that the instructions that you were given are the instructions for the *Tester* installer. There are different forms of installation, depending on what type of user you are: end-user, tester or developer. The very first section in the wiki (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus-RT#Who_are_you.3F) asks you what kind of user you are and directs you to the right instructions.

For the end-user, the website downloads page (https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/content/download.php), which is meant to be the the main point of access for end-users, lists explicitly three ways of installing it:

1) RCP
2) Using the Papyrus-RT installer
3) Using update-sites (the "classic" approach).

The first one is a self-contained zip file, which you uncompress and execute. It cannot get any simpler than that.

The second approach is only slightly more complex but has advantages for some users, namely the use of a bundle pool, and automatic updates. But it is also very easy (this is not the one you used).

The third approach is the traditional approach, which requires the most from the user, as the user may have to manually install all requirements.

The installation for the tester is meant to give you access to the latest nightly build. Therefore it is *not* intended for end-users, and as such, ease-of installation is less of a priority than for end-users. The big difference with the end-user setup is that the one for end-users is intended to be "frozen" at a particular version, whereas the tester one is meant to allow a simplified (even automatic) approach to obtaining the nightly builds, and this is something which you do not want end-users to have. Yes, it is desirable to make it as easy as possible, but there are some limitations, which I'll describe below in my answer to Peter's comment. Nevertheless, it is true that the instructions are outdated as the screenshots show version 0.7.1 which is very, very old, and indeed a Mars version. But if you got that, you probably ended up using https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/content/setup/papyrus-rt.setup for the URL, instead of https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/content/setup/papyrus-rt-tester.setup  as described in the Tester instructions, or you changed the version to match the screenshot. The tester setup uses the latest nightly as default. As for Java 8, yes, it is necessary, but this is not just Papyrus-RT but Papyrus itself. Java 7 is also quite old now.

For completeness, the developer version is intended for people who want to extend Papyrus-RT. It is a more complex setup, but in that case the difficulty doesn't matter as much.

​Yes, getting a tester version of Papyrus-RT ​for the nightly build is hard (I actually argued at one point that it could be made simpler, e.g. that it should be possible to use the simple mode for the Eclipse Installat, and not required to use the advanced mode, but others have argued that since it is only experienced tester that ever should use this installation, it is "allowed" to be more complex).

The tester setup is intended to make it easer, at least compared to manually managing update-sites. I would still argue that the issue of complexity of installation is not as essential as the one for end-users, who require a more stable product. If you are testing nightlies, you are close to the development of the tool, so "getting a bit of grease on your hands" is to be expected.

Yes, ideally it would be as easy as possible, but honestly, we have had a lot of bugs that take priority over this (and I'm talking about the tester setup here). This is a "feature" that doesn't affect functionality for end-users, and as such, it doesn't have priority.

There are actually two "installers": the plain Eclipse installer, and the Papyrus-RT installer (based on the former). The latter is available directly from the downloads page in the website. It installs the latest *stable* release, not the nightly. We may be able to create a "Papyrus-RT (tester) installer" based on this one when we have time. As for the current tester setup, it is based on the plain Eclipse installer, and the complex part of the installation is the step of manually adding a URL to the list of User Products. This is unavoidable, because we do not control the set of products that appear on the first dialog of the Eclipse Installer. In fact, if you look at that list, it is a very small list of official Eclipse products. It doesn't even show most official Eclipse products, but only a small fraction of "core" products like the JDT and the CDT. Papyrus itself id not even on that list. So the only alternative is to create a "tester installer".

In any case, if you want to see such installer, please file a bug.

The versions for the Papyrus-RT should be reasonable late, i.e. from today (or yesterday) when you have installed.

The core essence regarding the installation of the tester version is that it is the https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus-rt/content/setup/papyrus-rt-tester.setup that is used in the Eclipse Installer. Did you use this a the "Resource URI" when configuring the .setup file in the Eclipse Installer?

Getting a end-user installation for a released version of Papyrus-RT should be much more smooth though.

--
Ernesto Posse
Zeligsoft

--