Re: [papyrus-rt-dev] Visuals of Inherited Ports on Parts

Hi, Ernesto,

Thanks for your response.  Indeed, I quite neglected to state that port C is inherited by Capsule 3 (the type of the capsule3 part) from another capsule.  And that Capsule2 has a generalization relationship to Capsule1.

You raise a good point about inherited connectors.  The UML-RT Profile Specification does not discuss the inheritance and redefinition of connectors in capsules, and in fact the «RTRedefinedElement» stereotype is not permitted on connectors, which suggests that UML-RT does not recognize/allow redefinition of connectors.  So, I have questions:
  • if we were to show inherited connectors (yes, they would be washed-out), should users be able to redefine them by connecting either end to some other port?
  • does it make sense in a capsule to connect an inherited port to some port in the inheriting capsule context if the inherited port already has a connector in the capsule from which it is inherited?  To put it another way, can a capsule add another connector to an inherited port that already has a connector in a parent capsule?
This is complicated, of course, by the fact that connecting an inherited port in the inheriting capsule doesn’t have to redefine the port because the port doesn’t actually reference its connector ends (ConnectableElement::end is not navigable).  This is rather like the incoming and outgoing transitions of vertices in state machine inheritance.

cW