[papyrus-rt-dev] Visuals of Inherited Ports on Parts

Hi, Team,

I think I have a handle on how inherited ports and parts should look in capsule structure diagrams, but ports on parts present a bit of a quandary.  We want inherited elements to present in washed-out colours, which is easy enough.  viz. objects A and B in the attached screen grab.  This image shows the results of a naïve scheme in which all inherited ports are shown washed out, regardless of whether they are presented on a part shape or not.

For these ports on parts, I would like to survey the team and our users to see how they should be presented because I can see reasons for and against my own preference.  Consider object C in the diagram:  it doesn’t seem useful to me to distinguish inherited ports on a part shape because the part shape is not the primary context for editing these ports; that is what the capsule structure diagram of the capsule typing the part is for.  Conversely, looking at object D, I would be inclined to show this one in the washed-out colour because the part is inherited by the enclosing capsule, so indirectly the port on that part is inherited in this enclosing context.

So, my proposal is that all ports on a part should present the inheritance (or not) of the part, not their actual inheritance (or not) in the context of the capsule that is the part’s type.  So, in this example, C should be black and D should be grey.

Any contrary opinions?  Is there some nuance that I have overlooked?

Thanks,

Christian

Back to the top