[papyrus-rt-dev] Version numbers

On two different threads the topic of version numbers has come up. We got stuck with 0.7.2 even as we added functionality and all kinds of updates. Furthermore, in bugzilla we had a version 0.8 which was never used, and we are using 1.0.1 for everything that is planned for later.

None of this seems to align with the Eclipse policy [1]. Perhaps we should start to follow that a bit more closely before things get too messy? In particular, I'm not fond of putting everything under 1.0.1. It would seem to me that new features that don't break existing functionality should go into 1.1, 1.2, etc. while bug fixes would go to 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc., no?

Also, I'm not sure what is the proper way to handle versioning of individual plugins. So far we have had everything with the same tag "0.7.2", but we are continuously publishing nightly updates with bug fixes. Should individual plugins advance their "service" number independently, or would that become very difficult to handle, particularly for POMs?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

--
Ernesto Posse
Zeligsoft