Re: [paho-dev] Paho Python client v2.1.0 release

Le 19/06/2024 à 15:57, Greg Troxel via paho-dev a écrit :

Pierre Fersing via paho-dev <paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

the release of Python client version 2.1.0 is available on PyPI:
https://pypi.org/project/paho-mqtt/2.1.0/
I'm updating pkgsrc, having decided that between the compat improvements
in 2.1.0 and the time having passed, it's ok.

I noticed that the distfile was unfetchable because on pypi the download
file is misnamed, with a _ instead of -.

  https://pypi.org/project/paho-mqtt/#files

  https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/39/15/0a6214e76d4d32e7f663b109cf71fb22561c2be0f701d67f93950cd40542/paho_mqtt-2.1.0.tar.gz

and this requires working around in packaging.

I wonder how this happened, and if it should be more automated.

Are you able to upload new tarball with the right name and update pypi?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi,

This happened because the tools to build & upload the release changed. So it's not any kind of manual action that converted the "-" of "paho-mqtt" into "_".

The wheel spec[2] said:

> In distribution names, any run of |-_.| characters (HYPHEN-MINUS, LOW LINE and FULL STOP) should be replaced with |_| (LOW LINE),

Therefor I'm not sure the distribution tool (hatchling) will allow to produce the old name and its seems better to stick with new name which is compliant with standard.

On paho-mqtt side / artifact on PyPI, the only doable thing I see is stating in changelog that release tool changed which result in a naming transition. Idealy creating an redirection of old name to new name would be the best, but I don't any way to do that on PyPI.

Regards,

Pierre Fersing

[1]: https://peps.python.org/pep-0625/

[2]: https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/specifications/binary-distribution-format/#escaping-and-unicode